The history of the Town of Red Cedar is closely tied to the lumber industry and the growth of Dunn County.
In 1822, the first sawmill was built on the Red Cedar River. By 1829, logging and lumber production was well underway. In 1846, Knapp, Stout & Company was founded and grew into one of the largest lumber companies in the world. The company owned more than 500,000 acres of pine forest and operated stores, banks, farms, mills, steamboats, and stagecoach lines. It had a major influence on local business, transportation, and community life. Many people in Dunn County depended on the company for jobs, supplies, and loans.
The area that is now Wisconsin was part of the Northwest Territory, which was established on July 13, 1787. The Wisconsin Territory was created on April 29, 1836.
Before Dunn County was formed, the land was part of St. Croix County and later Chippewa County. The region lies within the beautiful Chippewa Valley. The valley is known for its sandstone formations and ancient hills. Some geologists believe the hills in northern Wisconsin are among the oldest land formations in North America.
Dunn County was created from part of Chippewa County on February 19, 1854. It was named after Charles Dunn, the first Chief Justice of the Wisconsin Territory, who was appointed by President Andrew Jackson in 1835. The county covers about 858 square miles. Over the years, the land was claimed by Spain, France, England, and the United States.
On August 11, 1856, the Dunn County Board of Supervisors created several townships, including Menomonie, Spring Brook, Eau Galle, Dunn, Rock Creek, Bear Creek, and Pepin. The Town of Red Cedar was established on March 14, 1861, from parts of Menomonie and Spring Brook. At that time, Red Cedar included areas that later became the towns of Wilson, Sand Creek, Otter Creek, Grant, Tainter, and Colfax. As new towns were formed, Red Cedar became smaller. Today, it is bordered by Tainter to the north, Spring Brook and Dunn to the south, Elk Mound and Spring Brook to the east, and the City of Menomonie to the west.
The Cedar Falls area was settled in 1856. In 1859, the Gilbert Brothers built a water-powered mill there. Knapp, Stout & Company later purchased the mill, which employed about 100 workers. By the early 1890s, Cedar Falls had a population of about 250 people. In 1910, a dam was built on the Red Cedar River. The dam created Lake Tainter, which covers about 1,752 acres. The Cedar Falls School began in the 1860s and grew as more millworker families moved to the area.
The village of Rusk, originally called Sherburne Prairie, was another important community in the township. After the West Wisconsin Railway built a depot there in 1872, the village grew quickly. Businesses included a post office, blacksmith shop, creamery, drug store, feed mill, grain elevators, and lumber companies. Rusk became an important center for shipping wheat. However, wheat farming declined in the early 1890s because of an insect called the chinch bug. Farmers then shipped products such as blueberries, cattle, hogs, and butter to cities like Chicago. Rusk was also known for its social activities, including concerts, plays, dances, and community organizations.
In February 1892, the Dunn County Insane Asylum opened in the Town of Red Cedar. Next to it was the Dunn County Poor Home and Poor Farm, which eventually grew to more than 1,000 acres. In 1972, the asylum became Dunn County Hospital. Two years later, the area containing the hospital was annexed by the City of Menomonie. A Potter’s Field, a cemetery for some former hospital and asylum residents, is located near the former Dunn County Wayside Park.
Education and faith played important roles in the community. At one time, Red Cedar had 10 rural schools, including Cedar Falls School, Rusk School, Lone Pine School, and Beyer Settlement School. Several churches were also established, including Bethel Baptist Church, Cedar Falls Church, Little Elk Creek Lutheran Church, and St. Katharine’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Today, three cemeteries remain in the township: Cedar Falls Cemetery, Beyer Settlement Cemetery, and Froen Cemetery. These sites help preserve the history of the Town of Red Cedar and the people who helped build the community.